May is movement month, and Arthritis and Osteoporosis NSW had tips for members and guests at our May event on how to keep moving and active. Sandra Vincent, CEO, spoke about the fantastic camps for children with arthritis including Camp Footloose. These camps, which give families a respite from caring for sick children, are funded by donations. If you can help, contact Arthritis NSW today.
Andrew Hill, Vice President RBC, stood in for Tony Abboud, President, at the event. His speech covered:
- Australia’s biggest public transport project, the North West Metro, will open to customers on Sunday May 26th, delivering a turn up and go rail service with 13 stations between Rouse Hill and Chatswood, and 4,000 commuter car parking spaces. At full operation, trains will run every four minutes in each direction at peak times with the ability to run every 2 minutes.
- Our June meeting on Thursday 13th June is being hosted by the City of Ryde as well as Venture Café which is part of the innovation hub created in collaboration with Macquarie University. On the night you will hear from the City of Ryde about what they are doing in the next 12 months and also a summary of the developments under consideration. You will also get a taste of the future and how you can totally revolutionize your business. This will be an interactive presentation by Venture Café
- We have made presentations to the City of Ryde on behalf of our members in the rewriting of the LEP for the City, regarding the revival of the West Ryde Industrial precinct. You can look forward to a new innovative space for small to medium businesses close to transport and education
- We have met with Victor Dominello to work with him in the implementation of the initiatives he announced during the State Election. This included discussion about making it easier for small business to operate, the widening of Victoria Road as well as other transport solutions and the infrastructure changes around the new schools and the opportunities this gives our businesses
- We have secured a $7500 grant from the City of Ryde to host and facilitate the inaugural Charles Street Fair for the businesses in Putney. This will be held on Sunday 22nd September
- After the success of the first China delegation in March, there will be a follow trip planned for September this year. Likewise we are expecting to host a delegation from China to Macquarie Park later this year. More details to come!
Two of our fabulous young entrepreneurs attended and showed guests the app they have developed: VenuLocker. It allows people to book tennis, table tennis, basketball and badminton courts all over Australia.
We welcomed new members:
Who was there
VIPs: John Alexander, incumbent MP for Bennelong
Level 1 members:
Level 2 members:
Our Business of the Month winner was Chill IT.
Our thanks to to Clare Trodden, a Macquarie Uni student interning with STARSTV who is helped out on the night and took most of the photos you’ll find in our Facebook gallery.